Lemongrass essential oil has been used to support digestion and for purification and regeneration of tissues. It may be one of the most broadly therapeutic anti-microbial essential oils available with other important actions that support the immune system. It has been employed in traditional Indian medicine for centuries as a cure for infectious illness and fever. In TCM, lemongrass is used to treat colds, headache, stomach ache, abdominal pain and rheumatic pain. Lemongrass essential oil tightens the elastin fibres in the epidermis and subcutis - the connective tissues, and is recommended in the after-care of sports injuries, sprains, bruises and dislocations. It is considered a very effective insect repellent.
Therapeutic Properties Described In The Aromatherapy Literature
Analgesic, Antibacterial, Antidepressant, Antimicrobial, Anti-oxidant, Antipuretic, Antiseptic, Astringent, Carminitive, Deodorant, Febrifuge, Fungicidal, Galactagogue, Insecticidal, Nervine, Sedative, Tonic.
- Lemongrass and Frankincense are the two essential oils with the largest bodies of research in this field. Published in the May 2009 Journal of Chemico-Biological Interactions stated "Our results indicate that the [Lemongrass] oil has a promising anti-cancer activity and causes loss in sum or increasing cell viability by activating the apoptotic process as identified by electron microscopy." For the latest research, go to pubmed.gov and search for "lemongrass" and “cancer".
- Improves circulation
- Discourages fluid retention
Anti-infectious and Antibacterial
- Lemongrass has also been shown to be a potent and important antibacterial agent. In a study published in Letters in Applied Microbiology, essential oil vapors (what one would create through using a nebulizing diffuser) of Geranium and Lemongrass were shown effective even against MRSA bacteria. This may prove useful in hospital settings where such bacteria have become resistant against conventional antibiotics.
- Antifungal agent (treats Candida: a naturally occurring internal fungus that can 'overgrow' due to dietary imbalances)
- Combats acne and oily skin
- An excellent antidepressan
- Highly effective mosquito repellent
- Encourages fortification
- Effective calming and sedative actions