First used as an antidote elixir for anxiety, it soon after became known as an effective treatment for diarrhea and dysentery because of the antispasmodic action it has on the smooth muscles of the intestine. Many physicians also experimented with it as a remedy for wounds, tumors, ulcers, sore throats, tonsillitis, and neuralgia. In TCM, geranium oil is cooling and moist. It clears heat and can strengthen the flow of Qi - calming the mind, relaxing the body, and easing frustration and irritability.
Therapeutic Properties Described In The Aromatherapy Literature
Antibacterial, Antidepressant, Antihaemorrhagic, Antispasmodic, Antitumoral, Anti-inflammatory, Astringent, Antibacterial, Antifungal, Cicatrisant, Deodorant, Diuretic, Fungicidal, Hemostatic, Stimulant (to the adrenal cortex), Styptic, Vermifuge, Vulnerary.
- Antiseptic properties aid with acne, dermatitis, wounds, and non-serious burns.
- Anti-inflammatory can calm eczema, hemorrhoids mastitis and varicose veins.
- Helps to create balance between oily and dry skin; it is an astringent that is not dying.
- Soothing and balancing to the mucus membranes of the skin.
- Cleanses the skin while restoring balance, tone, and suppleness.
- A kidney tonic: assists with releasing fluid retention and therefore useful for cellulite therapies.
- Successfully used in treatment of Candida infections.
- Has been the subject of many scientific studies validating its antimicrobial actions.
- Geranium specifically in combination with Lemongrass has been studied for its highly effective actions against antibiotic resistant strains of staphylococcus. It is one of the few essential oils that has been successfully used against MRSA bacteria in laboratory studies.
- Effectively treats sore throats and tonsillitis.
- Calming and uplifting.
- Supports the release of negative and unpleasant memories.
- Eases nervous tension and stress and therefore balancing to the emotions, lifting the spirits, and fostering a sense of inner-peace and well-being.
- Helpful for depression or lives "lacking color": it effectively lifts worry and anxiety.
- Clears and dispels stagnant energy, thus can be helpful for those who need motivation and strength to accomplish visions and projects.
- Harmonic and balancing: can be used for spiritual practice and meditation.
- Assists in connecting to intuition and wisdom.
- Increases capacity for intimate and open communication.
- Relieves stomach, intestinal and menstrual cramps.
- Calms stress-related headaches and stomach aches.
- Stimulates the adrenal cortex (as do Basil and Rosemary)
- Releases hormones that balance the whole system.
- Known as the flower of constancy, it helps regulate estrogen production.
- Relieves fluid retention prior to menstruation.
- Assists in reducing mood swings, PMS and menopausal discomfort.
- Lice and mosquito repellent
- Clears ringworm.